Creative writing is an out-of-the-box way to deliver ideas and information. It could be a poem, a song or any kinds of content that can evoke strong emotion and visual of your audience. And if that's what you want to do, then let our creative writing experts help you!
Top projects you may like
Writing & Translation
Creative Writing FAQs
What is the purpose of creative writing?
Creative writing, considered as an expressive form of literature, refers to the art of creating contents with mainly creativity and imagination. Creative writing is different from, for example, technical writings that are created based on facts, research data, opinion-free, or emotion-free content to help provide readers with practical information.
Creative writing has four main purposes, those are:
- To express oneself emotion/opinion/talent: Poems, books, movie scripts, speech, … are all products of creative writing artists used to convey their thoughts, to turn their ideas and imagination into real things on papers that make impacts on others.
- To entertain the audience: The second purpose of every piece of creative writing, whether the initial intention of the author is to express themselves or not, is to entertain his audience. This purpose of writing is now played as the first thing that controls the creativity process of most writers instead of the first one, because of the way it benefits the writers more in terms of payment.
- To persuade the readers: The speeches at a conference, a seminar, or most of the official events are written by professionals, and are read by a rightful presenter to persuade the audience into believing in and following an idea, a vision, or an order.
- To inform or explain a matter of fact/opinion in a creative way.
The first purpose, to express oneself as an author, is probably the most important and most popular type of creative writing, for only when people have the tendency to express themselves voluntarily to others without wishing to have anything back, then they have the power to actually move the world with their work, to make creative writing such an interesting and valuable type of art.
What is creative writing examples?
Creative writing can be found around us and in every aspect of our lives. Creative writing is poetry, is the lullaby spreading from generation to generation on paper, is our favorite songs, is your sci-fi books, is the speech our principal speaks out loud at school, is the movie script or the TVC that you watch everyday on TV, and so on.
What are the 5 types of creative writing?
Creative writing refers to the art of creating contents with mainly creativity and imagination. Creative writing is different from, for example, technical writings that are created based on facts, research data, and opinion-free and emotion-free content to help provide readers with practical information.
When it comes to creative writing, we often think about poetry and fiction work; however, there are more types of it as we have listed below. There are 5 popular types of creative writing which are:
- Movie and television script
Every writer has their own strongest point in a specific type of creative writing. Therefore, every time you decide to hire freelance creative writing services, make sure you find the right writer who has their advantage that matches with your requirement.
What makes good creative writing?
A good piece of creative writing must satisfy all of these requirements:
- Being creative: Though some types of creative writing such as speeches, official letters, announcements, etc must follow a specific structure when presenting to the audience, they need to be written with emotion, ideas, visions, and the human writing type of the author depending on what story/message they are trying to convey.
- Being audience-oriented : An effective creative writing will effectively achieve its goal by writing while thinking of the audience, to the audience, and for the benefits of the audience. Without that custom writing style, a piece of creative writing will fail to catch its target readers’ attention.
- Serving a specific purpose: Besides involving creativity, a good creative writing must help the author archive the purpose it is supposed to serve. That is, to express oneself emotion/opinion/talent, to entertain the audience, to persuade the readers, or to inform or explain a matter of fact/opinion in a creative way.
- The clearance in meaning: A good piece of creative writing also needs to deliver and communicate the idea, opinion, emotion, imagination of the author in the clearest and effective way possible. Without the clearance and the right purpose it contains, whether a product of creative writing is hardly devoted or not, it will eventually fail to catch its target audience’s attention.
- Containing a catchy headline/title: The importance of the headline/title in nowadays’ era has been raised on another level since the attention span of people is so rapidly shortening that without an interesting leading headline, people won’t consider your content as something worth paying attention to. Before getting to read or to hear the body part of the writing, the headline/title will be the deciding factor on whether the audience will want to read or hear the rest or not.
- Being reviewed and appropriately adjusted: People make mistakes, lots of them do indeed, and a comma in the wrong place or a word used in an appropriate sentence can negatively affect the whole piece of writing immediately. Therefore, having your writing reviewed and mistakes fixed is essential. Keep in mind this matter and give your audience the best product you can.
What is importance of creative writing?
Practicing creative writing brings us, and especially the children, a lot of benefits in developing not only writing skills, but also other skills such as:
Build vocabulary, writing skill, and develop grammar skill: By brainstorming what to write, we are stimulating our minds to choose and find the right words that best describe our ideas, to play in the sentences, in the story in the most efficient way possible. And by trying to find the closest way to tell the audience our ideas, we can improve our use of grammar as well.
Develop emotional skills: Coming up with a story is not just about building the plot and the characters, it also involves giving the characters their souls, emotions, characteristics. It’s about creating the emotional development that the characters should have in a specific situation and to make them give out the reaction/action in accordance with their own mind.
Develop intellectual skill and improve organization skill : Creative writing helps us with our writing skills, communication skills, problem solving skills, and logical thinking skills. By writing down and building up a story, or an idea in the most understandable and logical way following what is in our mind, we are allowing ourselves to live another life of the character with as many faults and flaws as possible. And we enable ourselves to get experience by receiving feedback from others to do self adjustment, to fix and hone our above skills on paper before actually making mistakes in real life.
What are the rules of creative writing?
Though creativity is freedom, creative writing is not writing in free styles. Instead, a good piece of creative writing also needs to follow a set of rules for it to reach to and gain the heart of the target audience.
- Containing the blood and thunder: A story without any drama or the climax is often considered by viewers as boring and less attractive than those that contain them.
- Being target-audience-oriented: Writing a sci-fi book without any term in the sci-fi genre is the worst way to fail your audience’s expectations from the beginning.
- Adding in your own style: Every masterpiece has its own style of writing, and it’s the unique style of the author that defines if a creative writing product is distinctive enough among other similar work.
- Determining the ending in prior: Deciding on the ending before you finish the writing will help you have an objective to aim at, to stay on the rail, and to sketch out the most appropriate methods/plan to arrive at your end point. This way, you will not lose your initial key point/idea while in the middle of the creation process.
- Make as many mistakes as you can: Mistakes are part of the process. We make mistakes more often when changing a single point in our creation process. Being in pressure of not making mistakes will only lead to paralysis and can actually harm our ability to be creative.
Starting over again is never too late: Being stuck at a random point in the process is considered a normal thing that will happen to everyone. Whenever you are unable to untie a twist or struggle to overcome a problem in your writing, feel free to start over again. That way, you may be able to come up with a better idea when you are free from any type of pressure and difficulty, for creativity is the product of a mind in freedom.